Quanta Magazine is the independent science news site of The Simons Foundation, a private foundation established in 1994 in New York City by Jim and Marilyn Simons. With an annual grants and programs budget of $300 million, the foundation’s mission is to advance the frontiers of research in mathematics and the basic sciences.
Quanta Magazine is looking for a motivated writing intern for the spring of 2020. This is an outstanding opportunity for a beginning science journalist to dive into physics, mathematics, biology and computer science while developing writing, researching, fact checking and general editorial skills.
This paid internship has a 24 hour-per-week minimum requirement. It will take place between January and May at the magazine’s New York City office.
- Assist editors and writers with research and fact checking; contact scientists and press officers to track down and verify information and supporting materials for articles, blog posts and other features.
- Research, report and write Abstractions blog posts.
- Research, pitch and develop a feature news article.
- Manage the general inbox.
- Perform any other duties or tasks as assigned or required.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Some graduate science journalism coursework preferred
- A background or strong interest in reporting and writing about physics, mathematics, biology or computer science.
How to Apply
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Please submit a résumé and cover letter describing your interest in this position
- Five writing clips
- Two references