The James Beard Foundation, with support from the Gannett Foundation, is launching a new media fellowship program to train students from underrepresented minority backgrounds to be food and drinks journalists.
Award: $2,500 grant for a 3-month fellowship
Term: October 2019 through January 2020
Application deadline: September 6, 2019
- Be rising college juniors or seniors, or graduate students
- Express an interest in pursuing a career in media (it is not required that you major in journalism or communications — all majors accepted)
- Be based in the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT)
Applicants should submit:
- Cover Letter
- A personal statement (up to 1000 words) on why you want to work in food media
- Writing samples (2-3 pieces of no more than 500 words) prepared for a class on writing/journalism, a publication, or a personal website/blog
- One reference letter from a professor, internship supervisor, or other journalism professional, submitted via this link: https://airtable.com/shr5knb77Tkn2XifP Questions or concerns should be directed to Maggie Schoenfarber at email@example.com.