The Filmmaker’s Eye: Learning and Breaking the Rules of Cinematic Composition”
Written By: Gustavo Mercado
This is the only book that combines conceptual and practical instruction on
creating polished and eloquent images for film and video with the technical
know-how to achieve them.
Loaded with hundreds of full-color examples, “The Filmmaker’s Eye” is a focused,
easy-to-reference guide that shows you how to become a strong visual storyteller
through smart, effective choices for your shots.
After a short introduction to basic principles, a variety of shots are
deconstructed in the following format:
– Why It Works: an introduction to a particular type of shot
– How It Works: callouts point out exactly how the shot works the way it
does–the visual rules and technical aspects in action
– Technical Considerations: the equipment and techniques needed to get the shot.
– Breaking the Rules: examples where the “rules” are brilliant subverted
* Make smart visual choices with this quick, focused, and visual guide to
* Shows you how to master the rules, then break them.
* Includes examples and discussions from a range of international films.